Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Surviving Breast Cancer

I just read through nearly a year's worth of blog entries from my friend, Valerie Mingus Beck, and her husband about Valerie's breast cancer fight. Valerie is 35 years old, and was the little sister of my flower girl (my 33rd anniversary is coming up), and she was the inspiration for my cutting my hair for the first time in 40 years last summer.

This is one of the most inspiring stories I've ever read (and so far has a happy ending!), and I encourage everyone to start at the beginning and read all the entries in order. It's all the more beautiful a story knowing that it's true and is happening to someone I love like a sister.

And last but not least, if you haven't had a mammogram, get one. Keep getting them. Breast cancer is not limited to older women (it's not even limited to women to be honest). Ask your doctor how frequently you should be screened. If you don't have insurance, there's probably a group that will provide cost-free screenings. DO IT.

Self exams every month are important too, but a mammogram can find tumors much sooner.

Next time we'll get back to our usual irreverent ramblings.....

No comments: