Saturday, June 21, 2008

Thanks for your comment, Heather!

Yes, some time ago I joined a writers group based in Conway. I enjoyed the meetings and the members, but they weren't comfortable with the explicit nature of some (most) of my work -- and I read them one of the tamer stories, skipping the really explicit parts. Since I didn't have anything much less explicit, I quite going to meetings. I didn't have the heart to tell them that one member's weekly Sunday school lesson (which she read as her work of the week) offended me about as much as my steamy romance offended them. Oh well.

Not being a morning person by nature, I haven't made the attempt to join the FWCA (Fiction Writers of Central Arkansas for non-Arkansan readers). Now, with gas prices so high, I'm not likely to. I do, however, attend both the Arkansas Writers Conference in June and the White County Creative Writers Conference on Labor Day weekend.

The Little Rock Science Fiction Society (LRSFS) is putting together a writers group that will meet sometimes in person and sometimes on-line. If your work is at all speculative, this might be the group for you. LRSFS meets the 1st and 3rd Saturdays at Barnes & Noble -- on Chenal the 1st, McCain (North Little Rock) the 3rd. The website is www.lrsfs.org.

I'm a member of several on-line writers groups, most very specific as to topic, and to Writing.com. I've made some wonderful friends on those lists, some of whom I've actually met!

No comments: