Monday, March 26, 2007

Weekend at a Monastery

Subiaco Abbey and Academy is located in west-central Arkansas, just south of the Arkansas River, near Mount Magazine. It's a Benedictine monastery, and the monks produce peanut brittle to die for and an excellent hot sauce ("Monk Sauce"). The Academy is all boys, college prep, grades 9-12. There's also a retreat facility.

James and I arrived just before sunset, but missed dinner. He joined the other boys watching a movie while I drove to the nearest town (5 miles away) for Taco Bell for us both. While he ate and watched the movie I got settled in the Coury House (the retreat facility). My room was much like many hotel/motel rooms I've stayed in: twin beds, a sofa and easy chair, a built-in desk/vanity, a small bathroom (stall shower only), and wire coat hangers in a small open wardrobe. A lovely view of the athletic fields and the valley beyond, towards the Arkansas River. No telephone. No television. No clock. No radio. A Bible.

I met James as the movie let out and turned him over to one of the Blue Arrow boys, the students who were acting as hosts and guides for us. He took James to the dorm entrance and informed me I could not accompany them to the 4th floor. So I said good night and returned to the Coury House.

There I met another mother there on her own (her husband and daughter were to come on Saturday, as was my husband). We shared a cup of coffee and discovered that we both teach in public schools, and that we had much more in common. Helene teaches art at Hall High in Little Rock, and lives near the Governor's mansion.

Helene returned to her room (to work on her taxes, as she was seeing her accountant on Monday), and I went back to my room, washed my hair, and knit for a while. It was VERY QUIET.

Since I'm accustomed to sleeping 4 am to noon, it was difficult to sleep more regular hours, but I managed to doze on and off from about 2 until 7. Breakfast was simple, cereal, juice and coffee, then we met for a brief welcome and broke into groups for our tours. There were about 8 families there, some just one parent and son, some with both parents and siblings (one only 2 months old).

We toured the campus, including the athletic center we skipped on our brief visit in February, had mock classes in biology, literature, and geography before lunch. Then it was touring dorm rooms (dorms are all the same, no matter which school) and the Abbey museum before a wonderful concert from the Jazz Ensemble and an informal performance-cum-rehersal of the school chorus.

The boys were taken off on an excursion to see some of the outlying features -- some of the places they go for camping and hikes while the parents got some time off. I took my knitting to the Coury lounge and met another of the parents, Steve from Katy, Texas, a metalurgical engineer. Soon it was time for the parents' Q&A with the Dean of Men and the Academic Services Advisor (who was also the geography teacher we had met earlier). Having been through sending a son away to school, not much was new for me, though Subiaco seems to be much more proactive about keeping the boys on task academically. Stuart arrived just before the end of the session and we went right to dinner.

Delicious pork chops with mashed potatoes, broccoli and a salad bar, a slice of cheese pizza (an appetizer?) and yeast rolls to die for -- I threw away the too dry chocolate cake and had an extra roll for desert.

We talked with Ellen, a pharmacist from outside Tulsa, and Steve for about an hour in the lobby, then returned to our room. Stuart tried to access the wireless internet (not ok in the rooms, it seems, he would have to go back to the lounge), but he had music on the computer, so it wasn't so quiet as I knit before taking a shower and going to bed.

I slept a bit better Saturday night, but Stuart's alarm woke me up earlier than I would have liked. After breakfast the boys were taken off for the exam (more of a placement exam than an entrance exam; average or better grades are expected) and we had a formal interview with Mrs. Kiefer, the Academic Services Advisor/geography teacher.

It's been a long time since I attended a Catholic Mass, and I was welcomed by the first hymn -- "Amazing Grace." The school doesn not require that the students be Catholic, and quite a few of the boys didn't go up for communion, so I presume that's the non-RC contingent. As there is a fair number of international students (most of them Asian) there are non-Christian students as well. Though the boys all take religion class, it's presented more as a history/anthropology course than a catechism. After lunch (they do feed the boys well) we packed up, checked out, and drove home (Stuart did stick around for a while to take pictures, to no one's surprise).

James seems pretty positive about the school, and though he's not ready to make a commitment, he does want us to proceed with the application paperwork and all. I think it would be a good environment for him, and a better education than he could get at Vilonia (they offer a wider range of AP courses, if nothing else).

Now I need a couple days to recover after 2 days of walking and stair climbing... more time on my feet than I've spent in a long time.

No comments: